The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (DOL/DEP) funds the Job Accommodations Network (JAN). JAN offers services as a grantee under DOL/DEP. JAN has issued a list of guidelines for accommodations of electromagnetic sensitivity (AKA microwave illness).
How JAN is referenced:
- On the page: Employees’ Practical Guide to Requesting and Negotiating Reasonable Accommodation Under the Americans with Disabilities Act “Introduction: The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is a free service of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy. JAN consultants have been providing job accommodation information since 1983 when JAN was founded. In addition, JAN consultants have been providing information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) since 1992 when the ADA went into effect. Over the years, JAN consultants have developed practical ideas to help employees understand the ADA and request and negotiate reasonable accommodations in the workplace. The Employees’ Practical Guide to Requesting and Negotiating Reasonable Accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act is a summary of some of the most frequent issues that employees have regarding accommodations and the ADA and JAN’s practical ideas for resolving them. As new information is available or new issues develop, the Guide will be updated to reflect the changes. If you have an issue that is not addressed in the Guide or if you want to discuss an issue in more detail, please call JAN.”
- When you go to the DOE page Reasonable Accommodations for Employees and Applicants with Disabilities | US Department of Labor it links to JAN.
- JAN’s website Job Accommodation Network has the logo for the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (DOL/DEP) at the bottom of every page.
- On the page ODEP | US Department of Labor under the section that states “Policy Development & Technical Assistance Resources To develop and influence disability employment-related policies and practices, ODEP sponsors the following five policy development and technical assistance resources” JAN is listed.
- In 2021 the webpage 2021 | US Department of Labor stated “ODEP’s Job Accommodation Network (JAN) continues to provide assistance to employers and workers on effective job accommodations for people with disabilities, with an emphasis on emerging issues arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, among them telework, vaccinations and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and supports for workers experiencing symptoms of Long COVID. In support of the latter, the Secretary of Labor records a radio PSA educating workers with Long COVID about their rights and sharing JAN as a resource to assist. JAN also unveils its new “MyJAN” portal, which allows website visitors to save and organize JAN resources of interest to them in one location.”
- On the page Policy Development and Technical Assistance | US Department of Labor JAN is at the top as a resource. “JAN continues to share information on the best practices on accommodations and the ADA thorough its outreach campaigns.”
- JAN is listed on the webpage Appendix B: Resources | US Department of Labor underneath the Department of Labor heading.
- On the webpage Frequently Asked Questions – General | US Department of Labor it states, “Where can I find more information on specific disabilities or medical conditions? If you are seeking information about job accommodations for specific disabilities, please visit the Job Accommodation Network’s (JAN) A to Z of Disabilities and Accommodations index.”
- On the page August 2020 | US Department of Labor it states “the Office of Disability Employment Policy-supported Job Accommodation Network (JAN)”
- On page 2017 | US Department of Labor it states “Job Accommodation Network ODEP’s Job Accommodation Network (JAN) continues to serve as the leading source of expert guidance on workplace accommodations, offering one-on-one guidance to employers and employees with disabilities, as well as conducting a robust schedule of webcasts, Twitter chats, blogs and live presentations at conferences across the nation. JAN also issues its annual Low Cost, High Impact report on the cost of accommodations